The Merchants Tea Rooms are a traditional tea rooms situated within Merchant's House, in the Market Place of the historic town of Colyton, once known as the "most rebellious town in Devon" due to the number of inhabitants who joined the Monmouth Rebellion in 1685. The building is shared with the Colyton Heritage Centre. www.colytonheritagecentre.org Colyton is situated on the East Devon Way, a 40 mile walking trail through the heart of East Devons beautiful country side.
The Merchant’s House is one of the town’s most historically-significant buildings, formerly occupied by Abbotts Antiques & Collectables. The tea rooms occupies a section of the grade II listed building previously open to the public as a shop and now converted into a tea room and garden. The building is shared with the Heritage Centre which is now housed in a previously private sections of the house, which includes impressive 16th century features of national significance. It is thought the building was the house of a wealthy merchant in the 16th century, with the only remaining Medieval elements of the building being the thick stone walls and the half-timbered dividing wall in the Heritage Centre.
The building was later modified to create a second storey and refinements such as the fireplace and elaborate ceiling features, which demonstrate the merchant’s wealth. Remnants of the fireplace in the tea rooms can still be seen, with the sides and lintel made from a robust stone. This was later crudely cut through to create access to the room behind, and further damaged to create space for Colyton’s first phone exchange around 1930.
Tel: 01297 552455
Next Pensioners Lunch, Thursday 8th September